Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Dad, I am Smiling

I wrote this one ages and aged ago when I was a kid. What do I classify this under? I am not really sure. There are no punctuations and it sounds quite juvenile to me now but I just felt like re-posting it here. "God! The pangs of adolescence!" is what my brother said when he first read this. I sort of agree with him now but still, my daddy bestest and all that so here goes :-D

Dad, I am smiling

A tiny room,an idle day
Sitting at my desk
My thoughts are far away
Equations blink up at me
I am unable to concentrate
My mind takes me somewhere else instead
Blue blue thoughts..a pale azure blue
I think of days past,years gone by
What have I gained?
Hurt-it is there,and pain too
Regretted words,crushed feelings
A feeling of emptiness throughout the place
Sorry dad,forgive me
For anything I might have done wrong
Inside I am just a kid,like any other
Looking for love,for forgiveness
You've always told me dad,
A lot of things which have helped me through
Difficult times-what can I say?
I was an angry kid.
But this I'll always say dad,
A lot of my lessons, I learnt with you
And one such lesson-I cannot forget
"You are small now", you said
Your entire life stretches before you,
Trials you will meet,and temptations too
In doubt and dark,trust your heart
Faith in yourself and in those you love
Will always pull you through.
You will feel the need to rush
For you are impulsive
Youth always is,
But always keep a check on yourself
Never say or do a thing you'll regret
And when dad is old
You'll know,you'll understand.
I took it all dad,trust me I did
I didn't understand it then,now I do
But wise words and convictions
Somehow slipped away,
In times of anger and hurt.
And you said one thing more dad,
Life is a mixture of things
Happiness and sorrow will take their turns
But always be brave,always be true
And always be smiling.
I want you to give your word,
That you'll never forget.
I gave my word dad,and I've tried to keep,
I've failed at times,but not always
Things have been good,they've been bad,
I've been happy,I've been sad
I've failed at times but succeeded too.
But what you said,I haven't forgotten
I never will.
I love you dad,and I am smiling now,
I always will

2 comments:

Suvro Chatterjee said...

I'm sure your father's a happy man, Vaishnavi! In any case, I'll say thank you on behalf of all fathers. Maybe someday my daughter will write something like this for me.
Sir

Avinash S Bajaj said...

from the heart writing...its beautiful..makes me wonder if i shall do the same for my parents?!!