Saturday, July 3, 2010

A twenty year love affair

When I saw the squad for FIFA 2010 I wondered maybe whether the exclusion of Zanetti and Cambiasso would be the undoing of Argentina. Now, after an extremely painful evening of watching Argentina's worst defense in a long time, I can safely say that it may be so.

Hmmmm. So. Argentina crashed. And how badly.

I am frustrated and Debussy is wailing in the background. He has picked up my mood perfectly. You see, I haven't ever EVER loved, nay, even liked any other team. My first world cup was at age three and I am told I used to smile when Maradona came on the screen. I somewhat very vaguely remember my brother, then eight crying when they lost to Germany in the semi-finals. Since then, we seem to come a full circle every four years. My heart seems broken. I ate some tiramisu that I had made, I dunked four bourbon biscuits in nutella and ate that too. I am fine so long as I don't think about tonight's disaster. But how can I not? The thought enters my mind every few seconds and my stomach feels funny. I know it's the football and not the food because I would gladly dunk some more bourbon biscuits.

I know there is hunger, and poverty, and strife, and violence in this world. I know there are a lot more important things than football. Then why am I so heartbroken? Every four years, since 1990, I have cried. What stops my giving up? I know, four years hence I will have the same enthusiasm: career, growing up, family, new life, new adventures - nothing will have diminished it. It is in my blood. Tonight, I will watch Spain (maybe) make short work of Paraguay and then, I want them to demolish Germany. Tomorrow, when I wake up, there will be a split second of blissful blankness of mind before this thing comes rushing back in. I will feel sore and groggy and listless. I will probably cry a bit as I am crying right now. Stupidly. I can't help it.

Footy fans do not stop with one match, one world cup; there will be thousands of other matches played in the beloved blue and white that is dearer to me than Milan even. I have time. I will be here. No matter what, Ultima parada, la gloria. No kidding. Next time. This heart is Argentina's and it will remain there all my life.

I just feel bad that neither of my boys scored this world cup...Kaka went out last night and Messi went out tonight......damn...


2 comments:

Tanmoy said...

It was 1986 when I realised watching Maradona how beautiful the game can be. From that day onwards I have always supported Argentina in the World Cup. I feel sad too because somehow I cannot digest the huge margin and that too to a young German team. Having said that, I think Diego stuffed it up majorly with only “vocal” coaching for such a big event. The club football stars are good for the clubs and there seem to be no passion involved when playing for the country. Perhaps Diego should have stuck with his initial approach of playing with local players but then qualification was a threat. Whatever, but 4-0 is a shame.

As far as Brazil is concerned, I could not believe they lost their cool so badly. They were overconfident and paid the price.

Sathej said...

Hmm..I can understand Vaishnavi. Would indeed be so distressing for someone who's this passionate about the wonderful game!

Sathej